Monday, June 18, 2007

Funny Moments

During my recent trip to India, I had the oppurtunity to attend my cousin's marriage. I dont know about others. But, I have these awkward moments where you get lost in the crowd and you actively try to find a familiar face so that you can sit next to them and have a little chat. I was searching for that person and luckily I found my father. Well, I walked to him and sat next to him. Not that my father and I have a lot of lengthy conversations, but, I did find him unusually quiet that day. Though I was watching the bride and groom on the stage, I was a little perturbed by my father's silence. So, I decided to talk to him finally. "Dad, why are you unusually quiet today?" (my head still looking at the stage)... Still silence... I just looked upto my father. Oops...It wasnt my father. It was someone who looked like my father... I was quite embarassed. I said, "Sorry Sir.."... and vanished quickly...

Last week, I was returning back from the locker room of the gym. As I was walking towards the lobby, I saw a not so familiar chinese woman smiling at me from a distance. As I have realised quite a lot of times, some of the chinese people have a smily looking face even when they are frustrated... I thought that it was one of the those people. As I was getting closer and closer, her smile grew more. At this point, I was 100% sure that she was smiling at me, atleast in my direction. Having had a history of embarassing moments, I decided to make sure that there was no one behind me. I turned around and around and there was no one except me... Who is this woman? Why is she smiling? Did I do anything stupid during the workout that makes me look funny? All those questions raced around my mind... When I finally got close to her, she said, "Thank You.."... I went "???"... She said, "I was waiting for someone to return the lock for the locker since the front lobby ran out of locks, and there you were".... What can I say? Well, I said, "No problem"... I handed over the lock and the key to her and started walking towards my car with a sheepish grin..:)

There have been several occasions when I have had hearing issues. Though I like to think that, the "selective" hearing problem is more prominent when my better half starts telling me about all the stuff that I havent done, or rather, in her words, "We were supposed to do", I have figured that I have the same problem with several others... Anyway, I went to an electronic store over the weekend to buy some gadget. When we entered the store, there was a stout old man sitting inside the store around the entrance area who whispered something when we passed him by. I was not sure what he said. May be we were entering through the wrong route and he asked us to go the other way. But then, I have been to the store a many times and I know that it is the right way...What else could it be? Did we drop something on the way in and was he trying to tell us to pick it up? OR Was he just upset about me for whatever reason and muttered something that wasnt supposed to be heard which my sensitive little ears picked up? With all those questions zipping past my mind, I decided to break the silence and resolve the issue. I promptly went back to the old man and asked him what he was trying to tell me, in a more authoritative tone... He said, "Welcome to the store" and I quietly conveyed my thanks and started moving while my better half was rolling on the floor laughing...

6 comments:

Manohar said...

dude- rofl. how could u mistake ur father man? nee first get a hearing aid and new pair of glasses.

Survivor said...

At the electronic store, the same poor old man was standing near the exit when we were walking out and Suresh made it a point to walk over and show him our receipt , though he was busy talking to someone...:-)

sdpal said...

Good one(s) suresh.

nourish-n-cherish said...

Gosh Suresh.....this is hilarious.
Shoba....maybe he insisted on showing the receipt to the old man, so that he could wish good night/day :)

Still laughing man....

Mad Max said...

@ Suresh: Awesome mate...Ghajini romba pudikumo...short term memory losss....day dreaming dude?????...

BTW: no so familiar chinese woman, staring, looking back to ensure that you are alone...who is this woman (of course you know her)...why is she smiling (hmm well we can all guess)...connect the dots...SURVIVORRRRR your radar should be up and running by now...ROTFL..

BrainWaves said...

Hillarious! I heard the first hand verbal version and could not stop laughing!

"Classic Suresh!"