Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Indicator? I don't care!

I am very sorry to see the increase in number of people with utter disregard for indicators. It seems like a major attitude problem. It is not as if people don't notice indicators, it is a very conscious disregard.

There are certain drivers that weave through traffic. I suppose these drivers must be in a mad rush to save some planet! And many a times when I see these drivers, I must admit I am guilty of trying to keep them from their goal. When I feel the intentions are plain and straightforward though, I always yield. It is wrong to assume that every one who is trying to change lanes is just trying to get ahead. The poor fellow (both genders) could merely be trying to take an exit or a turn.

This has happened to me many times. So many times that it couldn't be just coincidence. It has happened when I had the indicator on for a short time as well as for lengthier times. What is with these people? Why the huge display of attitude? Why are people so competitive when it comes to the roads? "God forbid if the other car overtakes us"! At first I thought it must be paranoia. Last evening me and my husband were driving our regular route. There was this SUV which was quite a bit behind the sedan, but would just not give the little sedan a chance to get into the slower lane even though the sedan had the right indicator on for an exit. Instead the SUV driver revved up his machine to overtake the sedan and then move to the faster lane. It would have been much easier to slow down some and yield. The sedan had to cross the solid line to get to the exit. Both me and my husband were observing this behavior. I swore a lot to get over it it. Now in continuing my observation, the next is to see how size/model affects these attitudes and if people live upto "Might is Right"!

2 comments:

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

When I started reading the blog, I thought that your blog was about the economic indicators and housing bubble... Later, I realised that the same analogy of looking at indicators while driving can be applied to other acts that one performs as well...

I get pissed off with drivers who turn on their indicators and never turn it off. Also, there are these folks who apply breaks and turn on indicators in the middle of the freeway to change lanes. And there are these folks who rev up their engine and come all the way from the right most lane to the exit lane cutting across everyone... If there are enough bad drivers like that, attitudes are only as good as it gets....

Survivor said...

I guess it all depends on one's perspective. If I am switching on my indicator, I get frustrated when the other driver tries to block me though at the same time, I get peeved by drivers who switch their indicators on one block before they even want to switch lanes and also get peeved by those who switch it on at the last moment. In short, I would prefer if no one cuts in front of me, thus letting me go carefree in my own way..:-)
As you said, "Might is right" is the only rule I really follow..the bigger vehicle always has the right of way in my opinion..