Friday, March 31, 2006

Bunion Vs Banian

I was looking at the wart in my toe this morning , resulting in a flashback to my podiatrist... and dyuuuuu.....( can you see the rings..) , who introduced me to something called Bunions. Bunion is a common forefoot deformity where a displacement of the bone under the 1st toe occurs.Many a times have I teased my sister for that. As soon as I saw the pamphlet describing it, I called my sis and introduced her to the word Bunion .It always feels good when you know that the slightly protruding bone has a name , though ofcourse we had named it Betsy already.

dyuuuu....(flashback over)
The flashback prompted me to ask Suresh the spelling of Bunion and he said "Banian" .Ofcourse, he meant the banians that we wear in India. This interested me all the more and I started searching for the word Banian. Mariam Webster didn't have a clue and gave me some other suggestions. There was some thesaurus which proclaimed banian as a loose fitting jacket, orginally worn in India. Bingo ! The interesting factor is their prononciation are the same. Atleast Banyan will have a different pronounciation though it is called Banian by most.

This got me thinking how a conversation would be if I meet someone with a Bunion..
" Acchucho, adhu enna Bunion a.."
" Idhula ennanga acchucho, veyiluku banian dhane nalladhu"
" Illanga, unga kalula"
" Amanga, veyiluku verum sandals dhan podradhu..no shoes"
" Ennaku idha pathi US ponadhuku apparam dhan therinjudhu"
" Enga, Sandals ngarudhu oru rickshaw karanuku kooda theriyume"
" Ayyo, na Bunion..a sonnen"
" Enga, Banian porandha kolandhaiku kooda theriyume"
" Na andha Banian..a sollalala"
" Oh! Neenga kai vacha banian..a pathi sollreengala"
" Illa, elumbu theriyudhe, andha Bunion..a pathi sonnen"
" Aama, idhu kai vaikadha banian, naa irukura size..ku,anganga elumbu theiryama irrukuma"
" Ayyo, kalula elumbu theriyudhe..adha sonnen"
" Adhuva, adhu poranandhulendhe irrukudhu, adhu peru "adhirshtaman Betsy" "
" Adhu peru dhan Bunion"
" Banian..a? Edho Socksian..nu vaccha paravala..Kalula podradhuku peru Banian..nu yaravdhu vaipangala.. Idhukundha US ku pasangala anupa koodadhu..kettu poidaranga"
" Saringa..Neenga Socksian..ne koopidunga..Enna vittrunga"

OK..Its tough to write in Tanglish...I think this is enough..

5 comments:

nourish-n-cherish said...

kalakkal sigamani....kalakeetae po!

It is really funny!

BrainWaves said...

Crazy mohan thothaan po!

Very funny!

bumblebee said...

That is cool.. it seems to bring back memories of our conversations of more than a decade ago :-)

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

I am quite amazed at how well you orchestrated this entire conversation... Kalakitta po...:)

sdpal said...

CrazyMOhan/SV Shekar.. are looking for you! Good one!