Sunday, January 11, 2009

Powerless...

I've been reading a lot of news lately. Though I resent the fact that many people are killed in various fights and militant wars throughout the world, I find a strange curiosity to get the updates. I don't know why.

As people contend about what the futuristic world holds in terms of technology and what not, I couldn't stop thinking about the fate of innocent people. As militants get their covers under the civilian population, I see that innocent lives are starting to look "disposable". It has almost become a norm. Though, on one hand, it looks completely ridiculous, I don't know what solution stays with the countries that have to defend it's territories and people at large. Consider the terrorist incidents back in India. If one has to make a choice of getting rid of terrorists, is it worthwhile trying to protect a handful of innocent people? Doesn't it look very subjective? I do realize that, if I had any of my close friend, family or relatives anywhere close to where such incidents happen, I may have a different take on the subject. But, for a government, it looks like the choices are running out. Will such trend go towards a power shift of the so called "protectors"...Is it the real solution to curbing down the terrorists? I don't know. But, with growing list of terrorist organizations, I think, more and more innocent people are going to be terribly affected.

Another thing that bothers me is that I am getting totally confused with the responsibilities of organizations like UN. What is their real charter? Is it to just issue statements condemning organizations or countries? I think, as organizations like UN look biased and powerless, more and more countries will start doing things on their own. Why am I concerned with all of this? Honestly, I am not, well, may be a little. I realize that I don't have the faintest clue whatsoever on the realities surrounding people who go through such painful tragedies, and unless I do, my curiosity or concerns about the topic only stays in the confinement of a blog which is mostly based on what the media projects. And, thanks to technology, I am overwhelmed with more and more information that reaffirms how utterly powerless I am...

2 comments:

BrainWaves said...

Definitely there are 2 sides to this story.

In general, the wise(?) say, the showing restraint when you have all the power needs more guts than showing your might.

While, I would agree with that statement if it comes to Isreal & US. I was thinking it was bad move not to go out and attack militant training camps across the border right after Mumbai attacks. This goes to your point about different yard sticks used depends on how close to we are to the event.

We refuse to put ourselves in our opponents shoes.

Probably that is the basic human instinct (to survive first). And the elite/educated people are trying to take humans to next level which we(as a social animal) fighting hard against.

sdpal said...

I think its human tendency to read news that are destructive. And media is feeding it more than we need. All front page news or first few minutes of daily TV news covers, who was killed/murdered/accidents and stuff. Then comes the regular news/sports and weather.