Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Is it just Meat?

I have always been a believer in mind over matter. But, when people suggest that you can control your body, where do you draw the line? How do you define "you" and "your body" ? I am not talking about souls etc...which is more spiritual.

We all believe that the love of a mother is full of feelings which surpasses most of the other categories of love. For some lizards, where the neocortex is not fully developed, the young ones have to start defending themselves from birth for fear of cannibalism .Yes, their mothers can eat them. For humans, these are very well developed as we are supposedly somewhere in the top of the evolution chain,and so we can feel these emotions. Now, what was mind again? If we did not have a well developed brain, we may not have any emotions after all.

Taking it one step further, there is a region of the brain called the Amygdala , which stores memories of the emotional events occuring in our life. If you think you can never forget what someone did to you, blame it on the amygdala. Sometimes, amygdala can even hijack your neo cortex ( the thinking part)and make you too emotional.

If you think - Brain
If you walk,talk (motor control) - Brain ( neocortex)
If you feel - Brain (amygdala)
If you cry - Brain (amygdala)
If you feel like writing a blog - (amygdala) (For Mindframes, this function is stored as a memory in the amygdala :-)
If you love - Brain
If you feel paranoid - blame it on a parasite
** Recent research suggests that parasites, in particular toxoplasma, form cysts in the brain, often taking up residence in the amygdala. This may provide clues as to how specific parasites manipulate behavior and may contribute to the development of disorders, including paranoia.**

Coming back to my original question, what am I controlling ? My brain seems to be doing everything....So, do I categorize my brain as "I" or "Part of My Body" . To me, everything finally seems to be just meat. And my mind seems related to how well my brain has developed.!!!!

4 comments:

Manohar said...

Very interesting.

Also to add to this equation, is our primeval brain (a part of it). I forget the name. This is supposed to be our old animal instinct part of the brain over which the other parts you have mentioned has evolved on top off.

So I guess when they talk about mind over matter, to give an example. Somebody is doing something that causes a lot of pain. Immediately the primeval portion of the brain says STOP. Neocortex looks at the big picture and probably fights back to continue. And the sum total decision coming out of the brain could be to continue.

Suresh Sankaralingam said...

Reminds me of the story that I read sometime back from web.

http://www.terrybisson.com/meat.html

Ultimately, it is all carbon, hydrogen and oxygen (for the most part) combination... It is indeed a very interesting perspective to consider...

Mad Max said...

@ Survivor: Excellent observation. To me we need to go to beginning of the whole process. Who initiated what? Did something that we did when we were second's old in the womb trigger a reaction in the brain? If yes then the answer is we control the brain..everything subsequent is linked to the chain of events. Now given that we will never know for certain, if this was the case, the answer is "I dont know!"

BTW the very notion of control spills over from the brain...so some kind of feedback relationship's are in place here.

BrainWaves said...

Amygdala - I read this word in this blog on Saturday and co-incidentally(is it really) I hear the same word in Imax show (called Wired to win).

And in that they talk about how links are formed between neurons by repetition. May be Amygdala was not registered in memory till I read the blog :)

Nice blog!